Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tools, Materials and Processes I

Tools, Materials and Processes I a.k.a. TMP I was an intense introductory course to five different mediums: paper/felt, metals, plaster/clay, plastic and wood.  The class met every friday from 9 a.m. to 4 a.m.  We worked with each medium for three weeks.  The first week was an introduction to the materials, the second was an introduction to the project, and the third was a critique week.  Classes were fast paced, but I learned a lot from TMP I, and I should say it was one of my favorite classes in Penny Stamps School of Design.  

Wood, plastic and paper/felt were my favorite materials.


For our wood project, we had to make a body part.  I thought age rings are very interesting and wanted incorporate them with my work.  I thought it would be very cool to make something circular so the rings works naturally as patterns and decided to make red blood cells.  



 This was my final wood project,  I made a rib cage that is heart-shaped that can work as a dish to hold red blood cell.  The thing that is standing behind is tubes of heart.  


1. 2.


1. The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery is definitely one of my favorite books.  We were told to make a lamp out of acrylic sheets.  I laser cut the letters and the famous drawing of a snake, which swallowed the elephant.  

2. The paper/felt work was done with my partner.  The project was to make a headpiece that is NOT a hat.  We made an orbital shape out of felt and paper.  We structured the big circle by over layering a lot of fabric and paper to make it stiff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment