Sunday, January 19, 2014

Join Me

For our CFC II final project, we were given with no criteria; we could choose context, form, concept of our work.



Coming to United States to study abroad when I was twelve, I had been constantly traveling back and forth between Korea and United States.  Due to my nomadic lifestyle, wherever I went, I always felt out of place.  On the surface, I would look like I was part of the community, but in truth, I never was able to fully immerse myself in one community.  Personally, this sense of detachment from rest of the group was most evident during meal time in United States. Despite the fact I never actually ate alone, secretly, the sense of inclusion never felt complete, and was lonely.

This installation piece depicts sense of isolation and cultural differences I had to face while studying abroad.  The white, "house-shaped" tent creates sense of isolation and emptiness.  Also, by projecting myself on the wall, the audience is kept company during the experience, but really, they are alone in the space.  Lastly, Korean food given on the table provides new cultural experience to the audience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment